Thank you for taking the time to complete my recent survey on the SW6 Traffic Schemes. Today, I am writing to you with the results.
- 70% of respondents across Chelsea & Fulham do not support the schemes
- 61% of respondents in South Fulham (where the two current schemes are) do not support the schemes
Since the introduction of the SW6 traffic schemes to the east and west of Wandsworth Bridge Road, by the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham, I have been contacted by countless residents and local businesses about their impact on the local area.
That is why I decided to survey residents across Chelsea & Fulham, first in South Fulham and then expanding across the rest of the constituency to see if the schemes were working for residents.
Over 3800 residents across Chelsea and Fulham have responded to the survey, with every part of the constituency being opposed to the schemes.
Residents both in South Fulham and across the rest of the constituency do not support the schemes by an overwhelming margin, therefore I am calling on the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham to scrap the schemes.
I am also calling on the Council to conduct a full borough-wide traffic management study alongside a borough-wide survey to end this divisive and piecemeal approach that has turned neighbour against neighbour.
I am devastated about the impact the schemes are having on local businesses, and condemn the way Labour-run LBHF has treated them throughout the trial and implementation of the schemes.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to complete the survey.
The Rt Hon Greg Hands MP
Member of Parliament for Chelsea & Fulham
Chelsea and Fulham Full Results:
Do you support the traffic schemes?
No – 70%
Yes - 30%
- 63% of people in Chelsea & Fulham think air pollution has gotten worse as a result of the schemes
- 85% of people in Chelsea noticed an increase in traffic on the King’s Road
- 79% of people in North Fulham would not want a similar scheme in their neighbourhood
South Fulham Results:
Do you support the traffic schemes (East and West WBR)?
No – 61%
Yes – 39%
- 79% of people think air pollution has not changed or is worse
- 66% of people do not think it has had a positive impact
- 52% of people do not think traffic has not changed or has worsened
Cllr Jose Afonso, Conservative Councillor for Parsons Green & Sandford in Fulham said:
“The message from Fulham residents is clear, they do not like these traffic schemes.
I fully support Greg Hands MP’s call for these schemes to be scrapped. It’s time for Labour-run LBHF to conduct a borough-wide traffic study and find a borough wide solution that doesn’t devastate local businesses and divide residents.”
Cllr Cem Kemahli, Lead Member for Planning and Public Realm at the Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea, said:
"It is absolutely wrong for LBHF to punish RBKC residents for simply visiting Fulham to spend money in their shops and visit family and friends. The displacement of traffic by the leaders of LBHF to the Wandsworth Bridge Road, King's Road and the Chelsea Embankment is a disgrace."